- Investigate the source of reported hazards (oil in a hall that is a risk of slips and falls)
- Confirm witness descriptions (a reported incident of an act of force by a dementia patient)
- Observe a specific risk (congestion in a passageway during a fire drill)
- Establish the sequence of events that led up to an injury
Some Questions for Joint Health and Safety Committees (for a specific incident, near miss or health/safety issue):
- Would a video record of the incident assist in the investigation?
- Was the area of a reported hazard, incident, near miss or injury being examined by the committee under video surveillance? (This is an important question even if the incident is not on the employer’s worksite.)
- Does the current policy regarding video surveillance include worker health and safety within its purpose?
- Does the policy define the retention and terms of access for the committee?
- What are the procedures for the committee to request and view CCTV and other captured images for the purposes of carrying out their duties?